The Customer Service Technician II is a maintenance position responsible for preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of the HFC plant including Fiber Optic, express and distribution network cables. This position performs routine maintenance, repairs on all types of network cabling (including, but not limited to, CATV trunk and distribution systems) as well as activation and proofing new line extensions, while providing technical support and mentoring Technicians regarding service-related issues. Additionally performs various Field Technician work assignments, which may include system troubleshooting.
- Assumes full responsibility for troubleshooting and maintenance of the entire HFC network, including Fiber Optic Cable, Fiber Nodes, forward and return amplifiers, coax cable, couplers, splitters, and taps. Also assisting in trouble shooting Escalated Customer premise issues up to the house box/MDU.
- Performs system sweep of forward and return path ensuring optimized RF levels, troubleshoots, sets-up and changes out trunk amplifiers, calculates signal level losses in cable and equipment for trunk and distribution lines.
- Maintains Plant condition in relation to repairing broken lashing wire, damaged pedestals, tree trimming helping to ensure optimal network performance with helping to maintain NESC compliance and public safety.
- Keeps records and renders reports relative to system operations as required.
- Uses OTDR, TDR, Spectrum Analyzer, SLM, Digital Test Equipment, Stealth Sweep Receiver and Cable Fault Locator throughout the scope of duties. Occasionally uses waveform monitor and frequency counter when testing / proofing Headend performance.
- Participates in emergency fiber restorations, including fiber preparation, fusion splicing and planning permanent repairs.
- Conducts system tests such as: carrier/noise, hum modulation, 24 hour tests, forward and return sweep, ingress mitigation, and basic knowledge of fiber transmitter and receiver operation in relation to Digital QAM signals. Performs all FCC mandated Proof of Performance tests.
- Reads and understands system design maps. Completes basic system designs and communicates changes required to system maps to ensure accuracy of data. Additionally responsible for monitoring and repairing CLI leaks within assigned maintenance area/entire plant to reduce customer impacting ingress/egress and maintain greater than 98% on annual CLI flyover.
- May be required to participate in early morning hour cutover projects to lessen the customer impacting service interruptions during peak hours.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments working in the trouble ticketing system and managing escalation tickets within specified SLA to ensure customer satisfaction. Works closely with various technical, sales, and engineering teams. Guide and mentor teammates in Business Services and cross departmentally.
- Keep accurate records and renders reports relative to system operations on or before deadlines.
- Performs routine maintenance on power supplies: including testing, changing out batteries when needed and bi-annual physical inspection and cleaning of the cabinet and power supply modules.
- Performs customary CATV aerial and underground construction, including installation of U.G. cable, vaults, pedestals or equipment used to house CATV equipment.
- Locates existing U.G. cable, identifies bad cable with use of a TDR or fault locator.
- Performs aerial construction including make-ready, pulling and lashing cables, placing all passive and active devices found in trunk and distribution.
- Sets up Amplifiers and Line Extenders, including calculating pads and equalizers as required, using a field strength meter.
- Assists with fiber construction and initial forward fiber optic receiver and return fiber optic transmitter splicing and setup.
- Perform System Standby duties in the On Call rotation. During this 7 day period the tech must be available 24 hours a day to respond to system outages and or degradation of service issues in the plant.
Associate Degree in a technical discipline and 3-4 years technical/telephony experience with 2+ years directly related to the job; or 5+ years of directly related telephony experience, or an equivalent combination of education and directly related telephony experience.
Must complete one of the following certification options:
SCTE Broadband Distribution (BDS) Certification
NCTI System Technician Course
- Satisfactory passing of practical knowledge exam administered by the employer demonstrating practical ability to perform the required skills of the classification.
- Advanced written, verbal and customer relations skills.
- Be highly organized and manage time well.
- Must be team-oriented and customer focused.
- Ability to interpret and correctly fill-out various work order forms provided by the company.
- Strong work ethic with an emphasis in team commitment.
- valid driver’s license and ability to maintain DOT requirements in relation to operating a vehicle with a combined GVRW of>10,000 lbs. as required by DOT and TDS, insurance and access to reliable transportation